Tuesday 7 June 2011

BONG OF THE DEAD

http://www.bongofthedead.com/images/poster4-full.jpg












BONG OF THE DEAD(2011)D:Thomas Newman

I headed down to the premiere of this film on a dark and dismal rainy Sunday evening.


As I passed the abundant pamphlet slinging Jehovah Witnesses at the Skytrain station who were out in full force possibly knowing  something evil was in the air.Speaking of the air ,East Vancourites are no strangers to the odor of pot however that night via the patrons waiting in line were bestowed wavers of weed that would rival that of any marijuana smoke in protests the city of Vancouver has been known for.Which was a perfect set up  of what I was in for Boobs,bud,blood and more bud and that was just in the line up to get in.


It's Potheads Vs The Evil Dead when after the world has been over run with zombies one stoner discovers that dehydrated Zombie brains makes really great fertilizer which  in turns produces super potent hybrid weed.When all the new weed is gone as well as the new fertilizer the stoner with his dunder headed friend decide to head to the zombie infested Danger zones to round up some more Zombie heads.However unknown to them a goose stepping light in the loafers evil leader has rallied up the undead and now is leading them into a revolt against the living.


Trying not to let all the hype and online  praise for this film (all of which was correct by the way) ruin the film .I wanted to go into this film clear headed as possible. All the preshow haze didn't help at all.While I did know I was going to be greatly entertained I did not know what a bombardment my senses were going to be in for.I was somewhat expecting to be somewhat wined and dined my senses but it turned out to be more like it roofied my drink and while it sexually pleasured it self in my mouth it fondled my balls and violated my anus with it's unwashed fingers  leaving me and my senses a little disarrayed but somewhat satisfied while lying in my own juices.


Shot in 15 days for $5000  first time Director Thomas Newman turned up his nose at film schools and decided to follow his dream by making his own film learning while he made it. Along for the ride helping Thomas were several friends all of which with several years experience in the movie business.Thomas' ace in his pocket was Celebrity make up artist Mike Fields.for those who may not first recognize that name or may have failed to catch his several credits in various TV shows and major Hollywwod films.You have have however guaranteed have seen his work in various  Horror Magazines(FANGORIA ,RUE MORGUE etc etc)TV shows (Masters Of Horror and Fringe to name just a few) and several and I mean several horror movies way to numerous to mention


Not only did Thomas Newman end up making one of the most unique modern zombie films which is quickly being called everything from a Modern Cult Classic to"The Citizen Kane Of Zombie films".But got Rue Morgue not just mention this film in a little blurb in it's publication but it ran a full page praise of it in a recent Issue.Still if that wasn't impressive enough BONG OF THE DEAD is the first and only Canadian independent film to be accepted in the prestedious Cannes Film Festival.However the biggest acomplishment for me was how many  Vancouverites  he got to attend his premiere on a cold and rainy Sunday night  even when there was a Canucks playoff game on  he still managed to get a full house.

So if you're going to see just one zombie film go see DAWN OF THE DEAD
If you're going to see just one Zombie Comedy go see Shaun OF THE DEAD
But if you're going to see just one Zombie comedy horror about pot go see BONG OF THE DEAD

No comments:

Post a Comment